This course is approved for VA Education Benefits.
Do you love numbers? This unique combination course will offer you the fundamental skills of effective bookkeeping. Additionally, you will become savvy with QuickBooks accounting software on a remote computer. This virtual desktop environment allows for hands-on QuickBooks practice inside and outside of the classroom.
The Department of Labor projects an 11% growth rate through 2022 as bookkeeping skills are in high demand by employers due to the increased complexity and requirements of compliance and regulation.
This program will teach you to work with general ledgers, assets, liabilities, equity accounts, balance sheets and income statements. You will also learn to compute and record basic book and tax depreciation, manage bills and invoices, reconcile bank and credit card accounts, and provide financial statements for tax preparation. Textbooks required at the first class meeting and are available at the KSU Center bookstore. Internet access is also required.
This course is excellent for individuals starting a business or for those operating a small business who seek experience with QuickBooks. It is also helpful for those desiring the Certified Bookkeeper (CB) designation from AIPB.org.
- Create a new QuickBooks file with an appropriate Chart of Accounts
- Use the QuickBooks process to Enter Bills/Pay Bills and to manage Accounts Payable
- Prepare invoices for customer purchases of goods and services
- Set up and manage Group Sales Tax Items in QuickBooks
- Reconcile bank and credit card statements
- Produce management reports using batch reporting in QuickBooks
Prerequisite: High school diploma or equivalent. Working knowledge of computers and access to computer and Internet are required.
Working knowledge of Windows and Excel. Accounting Fundamentals online class or equivalent experience.