Deepen your understanding of the Java programming language, and start writing programs that are more sophisticated and professional. You'll learn about reading and writing data files, organizing information with multiple classes in Java's class hierarchy, and creating GUI applications using tools like windows, menus, buttons, text boxes, check boxes, scrolling, and more.
Prerequisite: Java Introduction (or equivalent experience)
- Establish how you can use Java arrays, get acquainted with two new types of loops, and learn how to write programs involving multiple classes.
- Find out how to write data to a disk file and read it back into a Java program.
- Explore Java’s class inheritances and hierarchies, abstract classes, and interfaces.
- Discover how to build a stand-alone application using a graphical user interface (GUI).
- Learn how to use layout managers in a GUI window to organize the components of your application.
- Create menu bars and menus in your windows, and find out how to improve your use of listeners.
- Find out how to add functionality to your GUI application components.
- Learn about Java's collections and how you can use them to manage groups of data.
This course is part of the Advanced Web Design & Development Certificate.
View a course demo
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser, Java SE (Standard Edition) Development Kit (JDK) (download here: http://java.sun.com); Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X, or Linux.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the 'Add to Cart' button (this site does not accept payments - you will not be charged here). Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-3355 or email@example.com.