What does a supervisor or a manager need to know? Have you ever felt technically prepared for a supervisor’s role, yet felt defeated by all of the people issues that seem to arise? You are not alone; many people feel the same way. In this six-week online course, you will learn how to be a more effective manager or supervisor. You will master the basics of communication, because effective communication is essential in your quest to be a good manager or supervisor.
Prerequisite: Supervision and Management Fundamentals (or equivalent experience)
- Learn the purposes and the components of organizational communication. Introduce effective communication models.
- Learn how communication flows in organizations, and what barriers can block communication.
- Learn how to choose the right communication medium, and learn an effective listening model.
- Learn how to effectively communicate with groups and how to run meetings.
- Overview interpersonal skills and their importance to managers.
- Learn about personality theory and personality types.
- Explore personality conflicts and what leads to them.
- Learn more about personality characteristics.
- Learn about the use of power, and situational leadership.
This course is approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI®), R.E.P. #3213. At the end of this course, you'll receive a certificate indicating the number of hours of this course, which you can then record with the Project Management Institute (PMI®). Please visit www.pmi.org
to learn more about Project Management Institute (PMI®)'s credentials and how they may fit into your continuing education plans.
View a course demo
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button (this site does not accept payments - you will not be charged here). Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-3114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.