Do you have a story idea or manuscript you'd like to prepare for publication? Or are you a published author who wants to polish your writing skills? In this course, you'll explore all the topics a writer needs to create a successful manuscript, including story structure, plot, character, dialogue, setting, suspense, conflict, action, viewpoint, tense, and even how to get published.
- Examine the different plot templates that form the foundation of nearly all fiction.
- Explore techniques for making both major and minor characters believable and memorable.
- Experiment with viewpoint, voice, and tense to discover their effect on your writing.
- Discover the internal structure of scenes and sequels, which make up almost every successful piece of fiction, and see how it relates to the checkpoints of story structure, dialogue, and pacing.
- Investigate the role conflict plays in creating action and suspense, and learn how to heighten both through pacing, starting the clock, hints, and misdirection.
- Explore the uses of dialogue, and discover techniques for crafting the most realistic exchanges possible.
- See how to create a dramatic opening and closing and make them work together.
- Enrich your writing through symbols that add depth, metaphors that will cling to your readers' memories, and the technique of writing big, which will make your stories transcendent.
View a course demo
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the 'Add to Cart' button (this site does not accept payments - you will not be charged here). Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-3355 or email@example.com.