Would you like to learn how to write more effectively? Many ESL learners have excellent training and skills in their native languages but find their academic or career progress slowed by the challenges of writing in English. This course will take you through each step of the writing process, showing you how to generate, focus, and develop your ideas. A thorough grammar review will also help you refine and perfect your writing. By the end of this course, you will be able to produce writing that is clear, logical, cohesive, and free of grammatical and punctuation errors.
- Discover the nature of writing, and learn how to become a better writer.
- Explore the process of writing, and examine what makes a well-written paragraph.
- Examine the components of essays, and evaluate the effectiveness of thesis statements and introductory paragraphs.
- Learn about three types of essays: descriptive, narrative, and explanatory.
- Analyze and learn the techniques of writing a compare and contrast essay, a cause and effect essay, and an argumentation essay.
- Discover the importance of critical thinking and learn how to identify and avoid fallacies.
- Survey editing issues, and develop an eye for catching wording errors.
- Look at more editing issues, and sharpen your skills for catching verb-tense and form errors.
- Review the parts of speech; learn about noun clauses, adjective clauses, and adverb clauses; and see how to reduce clauses to phrases as a technique to trim wordiness.
- Learn about common writing problems, such as confusing subjects with objects, having misplaced or dangling modifiers, and confusing possessives and contractions.
- Explore English punctuation, and review and apply your newly acquired knowledge in the real world.
View a course demo
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser, and a basic understanding of English grammar.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the 'Add to Cart' button (this site does not accept payments - you will not be charged here). Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-3355 or firstname.lastname@example.org.