In this teacher-training course, you'll learn from an experienced educator how to motivate and assist developing writers. You'll master strategies for teaching the writing process and find out how to develop engaging lessons for different writing applications. We'll explore the benefits of writing across the curriculum, examine ways to organize your writing instruction, and uncover the secrets of effective assessment.
- Become familiar with who your young writers are and learn the basics of teaching writing and creating a nurturing and inspiring environment.
- Get an overview of the writing process and explore the first two steps—prewriting and drafting—in detail.
- Learn specific techniques for strengthening your students' writing.
- Discover the benefits of using trade books in your writing instruction and explore literary response as a writing application.
- Learn about expository writing and the skills students need to research and write a report.
- Understand how to teach your students about persuasive writing, walking them through the vital prewriting stage, showing them how to hook their readers and leave a memorable impact, and guiding them past fallacies.
- Learn how to use the Writer's Workshop approach to help your students improve their writing.
- Explore how to effectively and meaningfully assess your students' writing.
View a course demo
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button (this site does not accept payments - you will not be charged here). Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-3355 or email@example.com.