Do you dream of starting and running your very own nonprofit? This course is ideal for anyone who is interested in forming a new nonprofit, converting an informal group to tax-exempt status, or reorganizing an existing organization. It provides practical how-to information about incorporation, organization, and other issues pertinent to anyone involved with a nonprofit start-up. No matter what level of experience you have, you're sure to find this unique course to be a valuable soure of useful strategies and industry-specific advice that you can put to immediate use.
- Explore the reasons for starting a nonprofit, and understand basic nonprofit terminology.
- Understand the purpose of a mission statement and how to create one.
- Discover how to create and preserve an effective board of directors.
- Learn what purpose the articles of incorporation and bylaws play in governing a nonprofit.
- Look at why organizations must have a plan of action, how to put a plan of action into place, and how to compare plans to results.
- Examine the role paid staff and volunteers play in a successful nonprofit.
- Grasp how to construct a first budget.
- Research various kinds of funding options, and craft a funding plan.
- Look at the basics of community outreach, explore media relations, and gain marketing tips.
- Probe the role the Internet plays in creating a successful nonprofit.
- Be aware of what political activities are allowed for nonprofits.
This course is part of the Nonprofit Management Certificate.
View a course demo
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button (this site does not accept payments - you will not be charged here). Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-3355 or firstname.lastname@example.org.