Make an impact in the rapidly expanding healthcare field with a certificate that combines fast-track learning with real-world experience in a fraction of the time and cost of similar programs. You will train in our combination classroom and healthcare settings featuring exam room stations, a front office simulation area, and hands-on skills practice.
About The Certificate
We prepare you to perform clinical and administrative tasks in the healthcare setting. This program includes lectures and hands-on training where you will learn human anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, medical office procedures, pharmacology, medical law and ethics, and clinical procedures. Hands-on training is performed in capturing vital signs and measurements, venipuncture, laboratory procedures, electrocardiography, and assisting with examinations and minor procedures. This hybrid certificate program will assist you in preparing for one of the national medical assistant credentialing examinations (American Association of Medical Assistants (CMA, (AAMA)), American Medical Technologist (RMA), National Healthcareer Association Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA), and the National Center for Competency Testing). This certificate program shall prepare competent, entry-level, career-ready medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
What You’ll Learn
The Medical Assisting Certificate covers a wide variety of topics, giving you the most comprehensive learning experience in the classroom.
- Anatomy & Medical Terminology– Covered by body system, you will learn anatomical organization and direction, cells and tissues, suffixes and prefixes, and the organization of the body.
- Medical Office Procedures– You will learn the theory and practical applications of medical assisting in the office environment, patient reception and scheduling, and insurance coding, billing, and collecting.
- Clinical Procedures– You will learn how to take patient history and assessments, obtain vital signs, and assist with examinations.
- Pharmacology– You will learn how to calculate adult and pediatric medication dosages, forms of medication, understanding medication orders, the essentials of medication administration, and how to properly administer medications.
- Medical Ethics & Law– You will learn about state and federal regulations, professional liability, HIPAA, and reimbursement and collection practices
- Gain Experience Through A Clinical Externship– You will participate in a 160-hour offsite clinical externship to reinforce skills learned in the course. *Please note: that additional documentation is required to participate in the Course’s Clinical Externship. More information is available below.
- National Exam Prep– This 722.5-hour certificate program will assist you in preparing for the following credentialing exams. The exam fee and textbooks are additional. Textbooks are required and are available at the KSU Center Bookstore.
To participate in the externship, you must complete the Student Waiver and Immunization Packet as soon as possible following registration, but no later than 30 days after the course start date. Failure to complete the packet will result in expulsion from the course. No exceptions. Working knowledge of computers and access to a computer and the internet are required.
“I enjoy helping people improve themselves, and I’ve always liked the medical field. KSU was very convenient, the hours were good and the price was very affordable. The class gave great direction. The externship provided a great experience. The instructors really want to work with you and see you succeed.”
— Irina Fiore, graduate (hired full-time by her externship site)
Please read: For students interested in using WIOA funding, please submit both the WIOA and Student Waiver and Immunization Packet as soon as possible to allow up to 6 weeks for WIOA processing. Also, VA Education Benefits, MyCAA, Education Loans, and Payment plans may be available.
Learn more about Financial Aid options here.
More Information on Externship Application Packet
The hands-on learning provided through your Clinical Externship is vital to your success as a Certified Medical Assistant. In addition, KSU CPE partners with the top regional hospitals to provide opportunities for our students to work side-by-side with medical staff.
To participate in the externship, you must complete the Student Waiver and Immunization Packet as soon as possible following registration, but no later than 30 days after the course start date. Failure to complete the packet will result in expulsion from the course. No exceptions.
The Student Waiver and Immunization Packet (located below) consists of the following:
- Student Information
- Release, Waiver of Liability & Covenant Not To Sue
- Human Subjects Document
- Medical Assisting Program Expectations
- Background Check Acknowledgement (completed during class enrollment)
- Health History & Immunizations (Must be completed by the Healthcare Provider. Attach a copy of your medical records and titer values report to support this document.)
Students must also provide a clear copy of the following with their Application Packet:
- Current personal Health Insurance card (front and back)
- Current Driver’s License
Completed externship application packets are due within 30 days of the class start date.
Start PDF Application Here
Start Digital Application Here
Note: This is a hybrid class. You will receive a detailed schedule noting synchronous and asynchronous sessions in Moodle. You will receive access to Moodle 2 days before the class starts.