Explore the legal and ethical dilemmas that healthcare professionals face every day. This course covers the most pressing issues impacting medical care arising from both scientific and technological advances in the field. This certificate program explores the legal implications of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and considers the issues that arise from on-the-job situations like medication errors, organ donation, and workplace violence. The certificate will also help you discover how the rise of social media has impacted the healthcare industry. With this knowledge you will have a solid grasp on crucial topics in the healthcare industry that are important to anyone working in the medical field.
- Understand the challenges of the legal environment in which healthcare professionals operate.
- Describe the legal risks inherent in the healthcare practice.
- Become familiar with the theories and foundations of medical ethics and their role in decision-making.
- Understand how HIPAA works to protect personal health information.
- Become familiar with issues relevant to medication errors, organ and tissue donation, and workplace violence.
- Gain knowledge about the effective use of social media tools used in healthcare today.
View full course syllabus
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox, Internet Explorer (9.0 or above), Google Chrome, or Safari web browser, and Adobe PDF plug-in (a free download obtained at Adobe.com .)
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the 'Add to Cart' button. Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.