There are more projects occurring today than at any time in history. Organizations initiate projects to create new computer applications, erect bridges and buildings, improve processes, develop new products, and reorganize company operations. Unfortunately, most organizations do not manage projects well, creating an unprecedented demand for project management practitioners. If you're organized, perceptive, detail-oriented, and an excellent communicator, you just might have what it takes to succeed in the fast-growing field of project management. If you're new to project management, this course will provide you with the essential information you'll need to prepare for and complete your first project. If you're an experienced project manager, this course will make you more valuable to your employer by increasing your skills and competencies.
- Understand why project management is needed, how a project is defined, and how it differs from programs and tasks.
- Identify various project management resources and understand the four phases of the project life cycle.
- Understand the basics of the control process and why control is so essential for your projects.
- Learn of the importance of the project manager and the project team.
- Learn of the difference between ethics and politics and how to identify and effectively manage conflict.
- Understand the fourteen sections of a formal project plan.
- Understand the benefits of using project reporting, earned value and the periodic project audit to keep your project on track.
- Identify why project closure is important and learn the steps to successfully close your project.
Note: At the end of this course, you'll receive a certificate indicating the number of hours of this course, which you can then record with the Project Management Institute (PMI®). Please visit www.pmi.org to learn more about Project Management Institute (PMI®)'s credentials and how they may fit into your continuing education plans..
"I have enjoyed this course and look forward to taking the next course. I have already recommended this course to people I have met that are also interested in project management and looking to acquire new skills."
- J. Wilson, Acworth, GA
This course is part of the Project Management Certificate.
View full course syllabus
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: Internet access, e-mail, Firefox or Internet Explorer web browser.
You will need to create a login for your online classroom. Go to www.ed2go.com/ksuconed. Find your course by browsing the catalog or using the search bar. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button (this site does not accept payments - you will not be charged here). Select your start date and then create a Username and Password. You must make an 80 or higher on the final exam (online) to successfully complete the course. You may only take the exam once.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.