The Medical Billing and Coding program will give you the skills you need to be competitive in the healthcare market, as well as the credentials through certification to prove your qualifications. Learn key skills such as abstracting from medical records, assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures using the ICD-10-CM, CPT and HCPCS Level II code books, developing insurance claims according to third-party guidelines, and understanding the legal, ethical, and regulatory concepts that are vital to this field. In Medical Terminology, you will learn important terminology and study the disorders and medical procedures common to each body system.
Prerequisite: Students should be proficient in keyboarding, have a basic understanding of a word-processing computer program (Microsoft Word is recommended), and have a command of English grammar and punctuation. While no healthcare work experience is required, it is recommended that students have knowledge of anatomy and physiology. Students must have a high school diploma or equivalent in order to sit for national certification exams.
- Adhere to legal concepts, such as advance directive, living will, power of attorney, and guardianship
- Explain the HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Safeguard and disclose protected health information (PHI)
- Recognize the implications of health insurance fraud and abuse
- Discover the five models of managed care organizations
- Assign accurate codes from the ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS Level II coding manuals
- Develop an insurance claim
- Use the electronic data interchange (EDI)
- Recognize health insurances delivered by private companies and government-sponsored programs
Upon successful completion of the Medical Billing and Coding course, students will be prepared for an entry-level position doing medical billing or coding in a medical office setting and will be prepared to sit for the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification exam once all other exam eligibility requirements have been met. The registration fee for this exam is included with this program. This course includes 1-year AAPC membership, access to AAPC online CPC exam review course, and voucher for the CPC exam cost and one free retake.
- A Guide to Health Insurance Billing
- CPT Standard Edition
- HCPCS Level II Professional
- ICD-10-CM Professional for Physicians
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions
- Access to the AAPC online CPC Exam Reveiw course to help you study for the certification exam
View the course syllabus
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: You will need a computer with Internet connection and email, and MS Word or Wordperfect software.
You will receive a password and log-in information via email within 3-5 business days of registering for this course. Course materials are included and will be mailed to you within 10 business days. You have 12 months to complete this course. You must make an 70 or higher as your final grade to successfully complete the course and receive a certificate of completion. There are no refunds for this course.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-6693 or email@example.com.